Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sestina

Off into the world; it opens the entrance.
This town is but a wasteful desert.
Travel like Alice, down, down, down,
Until reaching where our feet refuse.
Carry me away, with the wind!
Life comes, but way too frequent.

Ahh! The disasters are but frequent.
All is closed, even the entrance.
Words of the wise travel by wind,
Tales of the majestic lie in the desert.
We will all stay put, and refuse!
This cruel world will never keep down.

How did we come so far down?
Normality is so common and frequent.
Why did we ever think to refuse?
Life is but one gigantic entrance
Here lies an endless, dry, deceitful, desert.
We are leaves, mobile by the wind.

Lightless, free, inevitable, wind,
Never shall life put me down.
My feet ache from sand of the desert.
This happens much to frequent.
Here lies the wondrous entrance,
But it’s much too easy refuse.

Never! Never! We shall not refuse.
I belong to the unrestricted wind.
Where stands this so called entrance?
The rabbit voyaged deep down.
Swirling, dancing, exploring, frequent,
Please don’t leave me to the desert.

At no time will I desert,
Or ever give a reason to refuse,
Don’t be so fast and frequent.
Storms start by the wind.
Let’s go down! Let us drive down!
Discovered, I have unearthed the entrance.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! There's a powerful narrative and message here. I am left breathless when I think about the change in the speaker, by the end, from someone who is engaging in philosophy to someone who is a leader, and explorer--someone who says "Let's go down! Let us drive down." I'm also curious what to do with the Alice in Wonderland allusion. Unfortunately, you haven't offered the final 3 lines (envoi) of this poetic form. 8/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the way you described everything, wonderful details, it's easy to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you wrote this one. I think your sentence structure is very unique. It's keeps you reading on.

    ReplyDelete